21st December 2015
- Winter Nationals - Ten of the club’s swimmers made the trip to Sheffield for this national event despite tough qualifying times. Conor Harrold and George Epsly both made ‘B’ finals and our 4x100m Medley and 4x200m Free relay team (Harrold, Scott, Epsly, Day) both reached the finals in their events finishing 6th and 10th respectively. All six BPSC swimmers who competed in the individual events (B.Frost, R.Nicholls, H.Jolly, c.Harrold, H.Nicholls, G.Epsly) achieved Personal Best times. See 2015 Winter Nationals Gala Report for full details.
- Last Chance Open - Results from this meet are now published on the Open Galas page.
- Christmas Schedule - See our Session Amendments page for details of the training sessions over the Christmas & New year period. Normal schedule resumes from Sunday 3rd January.
- National League - In only our first year in the Arena League Premier Division (London) we are pleased to report that the club secured 6th place in the final gala of the year on 12th December. A more comprehensive report will be published here when available.
- 2016 Counties - A reminder that entries for the 2016 Essex Age Group championships are required by 22nd December. Qualifying times apply. If you are unsure of which events you or your child have qualified for please check the list recently emailed from BPSC Gala news on 9th December. Please note that no BACS payments can be accepted for these championships.
- Club Records - Despite only five weeks passing since the last update 43 new records have been set, of which, 37 were overall age-group records and 6 were short course age group records. Within the new age group records were 4 new overall club records and 1 overall short course record. No less than three people broke the previous 200m breaststroke record in our club championships final. Especial congratulations go to Ruby Wheeler who achieved 7 records in her age group during club championships. See BPSC Club Records update for a summary of recent achievements and visit our club records page for full details.
- Club Champs - Results from the second part of our 2015 club championships are available here: BPSC 2015 Club Championships Session 4 results. Once again a huge huge Thank You to all of our Officials and Volunteers who have done a fantastic job of making this a fantastic event for all of the children involved.
- Open Gala - Results from our BPSC 800/1500m County Qualifier are available on the Open Galas page. A volunteer list has been put up on the wall next to the Noticeboard at BSV for our next Gala on 19th/20th PLEASE put your name down even if just for 1 session. Many hands make light work!
- Session Times - There is one alteration to the timetables sent out last week - the G2/G3 session on a Wednesday night has a revised change of time to 8-9pm. New Timetables come into force from TODAY.
- Club Championships - Results from the first three sessions are available here. BPSC Club Championships Sessions 1-3.
- New session times - From Monday 30th November there will be some changes to squad sessions. The new timings reflect the committees ambition to bring every squad back to BSV for all of their training sessions, allowing for an enhanced training experience at our home facility. See Revised session times from 30th Nov 2015. Changes are highlighted in red.
- Club Championships - A reminder that the club championships take place on 27, 28, 29th November and also on Friday 4th December at the Sporting Village. There will therefore be no swimming sessions on both Friday evenings (this includes all squads and coloured hats), or the morning on Sunday 29th November. All club members are invited to to compete in these championships. If you have omitted to submit your entry it’s not too late as we will be accepting additional entries up to 4:45pm on Friday. Entry Form Programme Volunteers Note: There is no spectator entry fee for this event so do come along and support your child.
- Arena League - Congratulations to our Arena league squad who secured a place in the 2015 London Regional ‘A’ final by finishing in 4th place at the round 2 gala held at Hertfordshire Sporting Village. See 2015 Arena League Round 2 Report for details.
- Christmas Training - The club will be running training sessions as normal up to 23rd December with an amended training programme taking effect from the morning of 24th December through to Saturday 2nd January. Normal training resumes on Sunday 3rd January. See BPSC 2015 Christmas programme for details.
- Club Records - Updates to the overall and age group club records through to 1st November are now available. With the BPSC Summer break in August still fresh in our memories, the swimmers have already hit the ground running, breaking no less than 59 short course club records and making their mark on the new 2015/16 season. Of the 59 records, there were 51 new overall age group records, 7 overall club records, and 3 overall short course records. A number of long standing records from 2010 were broken during this period. There are too many names to list here so see the Club Record update for a summary of all the new records, and visit the club records page for details.
- National League - Our newly promoted Premier League team held their own against strong opposition in the first of the new season galas held at The Leisurezone in Harlow. The swimmers had 21 top 3 finishes in the 50 event competition rounding off the evening in a very creditable 4th place with a total of 249 points, just 6 points adrift of 3rd place Teddington. See Arena League round 1 report for details.
- Open galas - Event details for the BPSC Spring Timetrial and Easter Long Course galas have been updated to include online (BACS) payment details. See Open galas page.
- BOSS Open- Results file for the BOSS Autumn Qualifier is now available on the Gala Results page.
- Masters - On the 3rd Oct, 8 swimmers representing BPSC travelled up to Newmarket Suffolk for the ASA East Regional Open Masters and Seniors age 18-24 Competition. The team came back just that bit heavier with an impressive haul of medals. No less than seven individual gold medals plus two relays golds (Women) and two relay silvers (Men) were secured by BPSC swimmers as well as other top 3 podium finishes. See 2015 East Region Masters Championships report for details.
- Squad info - Squad Structure, coaches and Session times have been updated to reflect recent changes. See Squad Structure page.
- Coaching - Congratulations to the nine BPSC swimmers who recently completed their Level 1 ASA Coaching qualification following a course which was sponsored and hosted by the club. These swimmers will now get to enjoy developing their skills further by working with our highly skilled coaching team and we hope they will go on to support the sport for many years to come.
- Open Galas - The results from last weekend’s ‘Season Opener’ gala are available on the Open Galas page. Many thanks to all volunteers and officials who helped with the running of this very successful event.
- Coach Announcement - We are pleased to announce that Nikki Spurgeon, head coach from Borough of Southend Swimming club will be joining our coaching team on Monday 6th October 2015 but will be on poolside from next week meeting the team. Nikki brings a wealth of experience and will be joint lead of Gold 2 squad along with Matt Dibble.
- Squad Liaison - Contact points for each squad have been updated for the new season. See Contact Us page.
- Open Galas - The accepted entries list plus warm-up details for next weekend’s ‘Dave Warriner’ Early Season Taster gala have been added to the Open Galas page. Event details for all BPSC Open galas through to July 2016 have also been added.
- Gala Calendar - Entry guidance for galas that the club plans to enter over the coming months has been added to the Planned Galas page together with a new Individual Gala Entry Form
- Nationals - You’ll probably already have seen some of the headlines and photos included in our Main page banner but now read the full BPSC 2015 Nationals report which includes details of the winning 4 Gold, 1 Silver and 4 Bronze medals, plus 20 more finals (ranked 4th-10th place) and 47 personal best times achieved by BPSC swimmers at the National championships.
- Gala Entries - An updated procedure for BPSC members to enter open galas has been published which includes the option to pay via BACS. See BPSC Gala entry procedure 2015-2016. Please remember to include the initials of the gala you are entering and swimmers surname in the payment reference. (E.g. ‘ESO/Smith’ for our early season opener).
- Coaching news - We are pleased to announce the appointment of Paul Eveleigh who will be joining the coaching staff as the lead coach for Silver 1. Paul has previously been Head Coach at Eastbourne SC, Runneymede SC and Canvey Island SC. We are also pleased to welcome back Matt Dibble as lead coach for Gold 2 after he spent last season as Head Coach for a club in Dubai.
- New Sessions - As we enter the new season there are a few amendments to sessions which will take effect from 1st September. See Squad Letter and updated Session Times grid.
Please also note that there is no training on 31st August due to the Bank Holiday.
- World Masters - Congratulations to BPSC swimmers Clare Boston and Anna Meggitt who have returned from their trip to Russia where they competed in the World Masters championships. See 2015 World Masters gala report for details. If this inspires your interest in Masters swimming, whether for fitness or competition, please contact our Masters coach Sue Humphries who will happy to talk about how to get involved. Competitive age groupings for Masters go all the way up to age 85 and above - so it’s never too late!
- Club Records - Updates to the Club Records have been published which include performances at the ASA Summer Nationals. Please see Club Records page for details. A summary of the new achievements will be added here when time permits. Please also take a look at the updated BPSC Club Roll of Honour for Age Group & Youth swimmers.
- World Championships - The march of BPSC continues as two of our swimmers travel to the USA this week to represent Great Britain at the World Deaf Swimming Championships in SAN ANTONIO, Texas. Ciara Tappenden will be competing in the 50, 100 and 200 breaststroke, the 50, 400 and 800 freestyle, and the 4 x 200 freestyle relay. Matthew Oaten will be competing in 50m freestyle, 50m breast, 100m freestyle, 100m breast and 50m fly. Further info at the official event site. See Press Release
- World Masters - Results now available for 50m Free, 100m Free, 50m Fly, 100m Fly. Open these files and search (CTRL+F) for ‘Basildon’ to see results for BPSC swimmers Clare Boston and Anna Meggitt in the 2015 World Masters Championships in Russia.
2nd,4th & 6th Aug
- World Masters - Onward and upward! This weekend sees BPSC swimmers go even further as two of our masters swimmers, Anna Meggitt and Clare Boston, travel to Kazan in Russia to compete in the FINA World Masters Championships. Good luck to both of them. You can follow their progress on the 2015 World Master website. Anna is competing in the 50m & 100m Freestyle, and Clare in the 50m and 100m events for both Freestyle and Fly.
Any adult swimmers interested in joining our growing masters squad are encouraged to contact Sue, our masters coach.
- ASA Nationals - Good luck to the BPSC swimmers competing at the ASA Summer Nationals this week. You can watch races live or replay the last 2 hours on the ASA Nationals Live Stream, or check which heats swimmers are expected to compete in and see latest results on the ASA Nationals results page. All sessions are also available to replay on Youtube!
- British Nationals - Congratulations to George Epsly, Conor Harrold and Harvey Jolly who all made finals at last week’s British Nationals as well as Brooke Frost for achieving a PB in her 50m Backstroke heat.
- Summer Shutdown - A short reminder that the club summer shutdown starts on Monday 10th August and runs for two weeks. There will be no club swimming sessions during this period.
- Club Records - The BPSC overall and age group club records have been updated to include performances up to 19th July. See Club Records page for details. Congratulations to Ella Turner, Ruby Wheeler, Tia Colby and Vejune Petraityte who have all set new club age group records since the end of May!
- British Nationals - BPSC swimmers Brooke Frost, Harvey Jolly, Harry Fox, Conor Harrold, George Epsly and Charlotte Hartin are heading to Sheffield next week to compete at the British National Summer Championships. To see how our swimmers get on, you can watch on the British Swimming Nationals live stream or the visit the results site.
- Club Hats - We are now offering ALL swimmers the chance to have their name printed on their Orange Club Hat. These hats will be ordered once a year on the 1st September every year and will cost £7 each. Please use this Named Hat Order Form and post in postbox along with payment by 1st September 2015. Academy Swimmers - please note that Orange hats need to be worn at ALL Galas but normal coloured hats MUST be worn for normal swimming sessions.
- Open Galas - Details and entry files for our 800+1500m meet and our last chance qualifier are available on the Open galas page. The BPSC gala calendar has been updated with amended date for the Enfield meet. This, and a link to the Enfield meet details has been added on our Planned Galas page. 2015 Arena League dates also added. The 2016 Essex Age Group qualifying times and schedule are now also available on this page.
- Open Gala - Results from our End of Season gala are now available on the Open galas page. Many thanks to all the volunteers and officials whose support made this event possible.
- Mini League - A Gala report from the Witham gala has been published on the Results page.
6th & 15th July
- Timetrials: Arrangements for requesting timetrials at our 18/19th July meet are available on the Open Galas page.
- Open Galas - Results of our 4th July gala are now available on the Open Galas page.
26th & 27th June
- AGM - The BPSC Annual General Meeting will be held on 17th July from 7:30pm in the Creche (ground floor) at Basildon Sporting Village. All parents of BPSC swimmers are invited. Please make every effort to attend. A full list of nominated and vacant committee positions which will be elected at the AGM can be found on the Club's noticeboard at the far end of the spectator gallery, nomination forms for these positions are required to be submitted by 7th July.
- End of Season Meet - A list of accepted and rejected entries has now been published on our Open Galas page. There will be timetrials available on the day in these events where space permits - previously rejected swimmers will get priority for time trial places. Individual(non-club) entrants please email a postal address for refunds to our open gala coordinator, stating the swimmers name and REFUND in the subject field, by 17th July 2015. Club refunds will processed through your own gala secretary.
- Coach opportunity - The club is inviting applications for a part-time level two (or higher) swimming coach to join our coaching team. Click here for more details.
- End of Season Open Meet - This event is heavily over- subscribed and there will be a number of rejections made on a last in first out basis. We aim to publish a full list of accepted entries by 28th June.
Entrants who have sent in an individual entry (I.e. non-BPSC and not as part of a club) please note: Unless you have been personally notified that your entry has been successful, your entry has been rejected and a full refund will be issued. Please email the return address for any refund cheque to our Open Gala Secretary.
- Club Records - The BPSC club records have been updated to include results up to 31st May. Many congratulations to Riannah Smith for breaking two overall club records (100m & 400m Free)! Also to Vejune Petraityte, James Dillon, Fraser Scott and Ben Harvey who broke club age group records, and Mason Hunnisett who improved on his own 12 Yrs 100m Fly record. James’ 50m Breaststroke record was especially notable since this was more than half a second improvement on the previous time set by Harvey Jolly back in 2011. See the Club records page for details of all overall and age group club records.
- Gala Calendar - The new 2015-16 gala calendar is now available showing galas that the club currently plans to enter over the next year.
- Summer Club Championships - Congratulations to all who took part in this event and many thanks to all the volunteers who helped make it happen. It was great to see some of our younger swimmers happily ‘chinking’ their way through the car park along with their medals at the end of the evening. See BPSC summer championships results for details.
- East Region championships - A group of 21 BPSC swimmers spent their May bank holiday weekend enjoying the delights of UEA, Norwich as they competed at the second weekend of the 2015 East Region Age Group championships. Having reached the event by securing regional qualifying times the swimmers then brought back with them 11 medals and reached 28 other final swims giving BPSC spectators plenty to look out for over this three day event. BPSC Medallists included Henry Ferries, Mason Hunnisett, Bryony Umfreville, Cole Shepherd, Victoria Rogers and Sam Bryan. See 2015 East Region Age Group Report for details.
- Essex league - The BPSC team for this year’s Essex Swimming League competition just missed out on the Division two title at the end of yet another close fought gala. The BPSC team who have been competing head to head with the Dunmow team throughout this four gala season were just one race away from securing the title but had to settle in the end for the runners up spot, losing out by just 6 swimming points on the night at the exciting final gala in Braintree. See the Essex Swimming League website for overall league results.
- Open Meet - Results from our ‘No frills’ meet are now available on the Open Galas page.
- League Galas - It was a busy weekend for BPSC as club participated in and hosted two league galas at our home pool.
Saturday was the third of four galas in the Essex league season. BPSC and Dunmow have been dominating the division so far and after finishing just behind Dunmow in the previous two galas (by 1 only point and three points respectively) another close competition was on the cards. This time round the BPSC league team pulled out some excellent performances to secure 1st place by 16 points and keep alive hopes of taking the league winners spot at the last gala in June.
On Sunday, our National Junior (M11) League team were competing against seven other clubs in the second gala of the season. This time, first place was a step too far for the BPSC squad but in another tight finish, the team did secure a very creditable second place beating clubs which included City of Cambridge, Romford and Harlow. Well done to all the swimmers who swam over the weekend and a huge thank you to the coaches, officials and volunteers who helped these events take place. Especially those who assist at both! See Essex league gala results, Essex League table.
- East Region Championships - An excellent performance from the swimmers representing BPSC in the senior weekend of the East Region Long Course championships resulted in 58 personal best times and a superb haul of 19 medals. See the East Region Gala Report for details. Individual medallists for BPSC included: Callum Hodgson, George Epsly, Conor Harrold, Harry Fox, Brooke Frost, Harvey Jolly, Rhianna Smith, Fraser Scott, James Day, Vincent Melo Peet and James Bayley.
- Club Records - The overall and age group club records have been updated to include galas up to 16th April. See Club Records page for details.
- Club Championships - There will be a summer club championships run on Friday 12th June at which all club swimmers including Academy are expected to compete (G1 squad is optional). This will be a licensed gala so that times can be fed into the ASA rankings database and there will be no other squad sessions that evening. Please complete and return the 2015 summer club championships entry form which includes a request for volunteers.
- Easter Open - The results file from our recent Easter open has been posted on the Open Galas page.
- Gala Mailing List - All BPSC members please note that club emails related to entries and arrangements for Open/National/Regional and County galas are now being sent only the the galanews mailing list. Please subscribe to this list if you still wish to receive them.
28th & 29th March
- Website - As you’ll hopefully have spotted we’ve launched a new look to our club site. All the previous material is still available but hopefully you’ll find the new version cleaner and easier to use on mobile devices. I’d love to hear your feedback so please drop me an email.
- Open Galas - Results from our Spring Timetrial are available on the Open galas page. Also added here are details and entry packs for a number of BPSC open galas through to December.
- Easter Schedule - All swimmers are reminded that there will be no sessions on Good Friday, Easter Sunday and Easter Monday. For those of you not swimming at our Easter meet - enjoy the break!
2nd & 9th March
- Easter Open - A list of accepted entries and warm up times is now published on the Open galas page.
- Spring Timetrial - A list of accepted entries and warm up details are now available on the Open gala page. Please note that this gala is now FULL and no more entries can be accepted.
- Mailing List - To better target our club emails we are setting up a separate mailing list for information relating to Open galas, county/regional/national competitions, Gala Calendar updates, closing dates & entry information. All BPSC ASA Category 2 swimmers/parents are advised to subscribe to this list (link: gala mailing list) as soon as possible. We plan to start sending gala-related emails to the new mailing list in early March.
- Essex Counties - Top Club! At the end of three long weekends of competitive swimming BPSC finished in second place in the Essex ‘Top Club’ competition run over the 2015 Essex Age Group championships. This is the club’s highest place finish EVER and represents a climb of a further three places since last year. With over 80 swimmers representing the club there were many excellent performances which contributed to achieving the 2nd place position. The club gained over 100 medals (32 gold, 38 silver, 36 bronze and 1 relay gold) with a further 125 final/top eight individual places. We had 11 County Champions gaining 32 county titles between them - Harry Nicholls 8 titles, Brooke Frost 6, Conor Harrold 5, Isabelle Sandford 3, Harvey Jolly 2, George Epsly 2, Bryony Umfreville 2, Harry Fox, James Bayley, Mason Hunnisett, Samuel Bryan. Conor Harrold was also Essex Top Boy for the 17 & over age group and set 2 Essex Best times. Bryony Umfreville, Brooke Frost, Harry Nicholls and George Epsly were runners up as Top Boy/Girl for their respective age groups. Brooke also set an Essex Best Time.
- Club Records - The club records have been updated to include all recent results. See the Club Records page. Since the turn of the year there have been over 60 age group records broken and 9 overall club records – Conor Harrold breaking six, and Brooke Frost, Rianna Smith and Georgia Mills with one each.
- Essex Counties - Another successful block of the Essex Age Group Championships saw seven BPSC swimmers crowned County Champions in Block B winning 11 titles between them (co-incidentally, identical figures to Block A) - Isabelle Sandford (3 titles), Harry Nicholls (3 titles), Brooke Frost, Harvey Jolly, James Bayley, George Epsly and Conor Harrold.
At the end of block ‘B’ BPSC maintained second place in the ‘Top club’ competition with 1434 points behind Romford (1986.5pts) and ahead of Chelmsford (1249.5pts). See Essex Block B Results for details.
- Club Records - These have been updated with new records set during Block B of the Essex Age Group championships. See Club Records page.
- Open Galas - A revised gala calendar has been published with addition of a City of Sheffield meet in March. See Planned Galas page. Essex League gala dates are also available on this page.
- British Championships - We would like to congratulate BPSC swimmers Brooke Frost, George Epsly and Harvey Jolly in qualifying for the British championships in April for the following events: George - 100 & 200 butterfly, Brooke - 200 backstroke, Harvey - 50 freestyle.
27th & 31st Jan
- Club records - The club records have been updated to reflect recent results, up to and including Block A of the 2015 County Championships. Numerous age group records have been broken plus 3 overall club records by Conor Harrold (2) and Brooke Frost (1).
- Essex Counties - Block A of the Essex County Age Group championships produced over 30 medals for BPSC including 7 individual County champions gaining no less than 11 county titles between them - Brooke Frost (3 titles), Harry Nicholls (3 titles) plus one each for Bryony Umfreville, Harvey Jolly, George Epsly, Harry Fox and Conor Harrold. There were many other excellent performances from all our swimmers including a relay team gold for the 14 year girls 4 X 50 metre freestyle team of Bryony Umfreville, Caitlin Watson-Dotchin, Erin Lee and Issie Marshall.
At the end of first of three Essex county blocks BPSC stand in second place in the overall ‘Top Club’ points totals with 732 points.
- Open Galas - Our Spring open meet has now been confirmed as an ASA licensed level 3 meet and will now take place over two days with one session per day. Full details available on our Open galas page. Sportsystem files are now available for club entries to both this and our Easter Long Course meet.
28th December & 6th Jan 2015
- Open Meet - Results from our Winter Open meet are available on the Open galas page. Many thanks to those volunteers and officials whose support enabled this gala to take place.
- Club Records - The overall and age-based club records have been updated through to 21st December. Many records were broken in this latest update reflecting the progress our swimmers have made over the last year. See Club Records page for details.
- Open Meet change - Due to technical issues with the boom/floor at BSV the planned Winter meet in January will now be a swum as a level 2 short course meet. Our pool operators have advised that as a result of delays over the Christmas period they have been unable to obtain the necessary parts and the pool will remain in 25m mode beyond the 3rd & 4th January 2015.
We apologise for any inconvenience caused and will of course honour any refunds should any swimmers decide to withdraw from the meet due to the change. We will need to be notified by Wednesday 31st December if this is required. Refunds can only be given for all events that a swimmer is swimming as they will be removed from the Meet altogether. In the meantime we look forward to seeing you in January to which we are sure will still prove a very successful meet.